Plugin Boutique Scaler 2 (MAC)
- OS X 10.8 and later (macOS Monterey compatible M1)
- 64-bit compatible only
Apple M1 Mac compatibility: Scaler is compatible with M1 machines natively and under Rosetta, we recommend using Rosetta for better stability. For more information, find out how to start Logic using Rosetta.
- Audio Units (AU)
Empower the Composer Within
Scaler 2 is an inspirational and powerful music theory workstation that gives you access to a world of new ideas, expressions and melodies. With powerful detection of MIDI and audio, Scaler 2 can determine what key and scale you’re in and suggest chords that match your music. The plugin helps you discover the perfect melody with performance expressions, and can even suggest ways to change from one key to another.
Already Own Scaler 1?
If you already own Scaler 1, you can upgrade to Scaler 2 HERE.
Scaler 2 makes finding chords and progressions intuitive and fun! It’s a comprehensive but easy to use toolbox that will help anyone make better music.
- Discover your music’s key and explore alternative scales, modes and chord sets
- Choose from hundreds of keys and modes, quickly build progressions in the sequencer
- Over 200 artist chord sets from the likes of Carl Cox, MJ Cole, The Temper Trap, Mitekiss, CeCe Rogers and Mike Huckaby
- Over 300 unique genre, common and mood-based chord sets such as Chill, Drum & Bass, Jazz, Cinematic, EDM, Metal…
- Browse chord variations to get suspended chords, extended chords, dominant sevenths and jazz chords
- Create unique chords by searching & selecting from the circle of fifths or by entering note by note on your keyboard in Chord Create / Editor mode
- Play melodic expressions with over 200 phrases, performances and rhythms by professional musicians across various time signatures
- Use the arpeggio or strum features to perform in real-time and synced to your DAW
- Discover chord substitutions that lend variety to your progressions
- Experiment with different chord voicings to spread notes across the keyboard
- Export MIDI to your DAW simply by dragging and dropping
- Assign any VST / AU instrument to Scaler 2 to control your favourite synths or use over 30 internal electronic, acoustic and orchestral sounds
- Play and record one-finger chords and melodies using Scaler 2’s Bind MIDI function
- Establish your scale with audio detection as well as MIDI detection
- Generate bass lines adapted to your current scale and chords with Bass Mode
- Generate melody lines adapted to your current scale and chords with Melody Mode and Sequence Mode
- Change keys, performances, melodies and basslines on the fly by MIDI Mapping to your computer keyboard or MIDI Controller
- Get more natural-sounding melodies and expressions with the humanise and quantise function
- Navigate between modes and pages using keyboard commands or UI buttons
What’s new in version 2?
- Redesigned from the ground up with over 600 new chord sets, hundreds of new scales, and 45 new instruments
- Play melodic expressions with over 500 phrases, performances, sequences, basslines, melodies and rhythms by professional musicians
- Establish your scale with audio detection as well as MIDI detection
- Keys Lock helps you create emotive melodies by locking keys to your chords
- MIDI Capture lets you perform inside Scaler 2 and then export the results as MIDI
- Modulation suggestions give you new ways to reach musical destinations
- Suggest Mode – Scaler 2 helps you add complexity and artistry to
your chord progressions
- Get more natural-sounding melodies and expressions with the humanise function
- Edit Modes for adjusting length, velocity, inversion, octave, timing and performances more per chord in a pattern
- Pad View helps you to arrange and play through multiple patterns and key switch between them
- Audition new progressions in context with DAW Sync playback
- Voice Grouping can keep your chords within a certain range for voice leading
- Chord editing and moving tools include lasso, drag n drop, replace and insert
- Midi Mapping allows you to change, performances, scales and
patterns on the fly
- More than 100 new expressions in triplet feel and across several time signatures including 3/4, 5/4, 6/8, 12/8
- New Chord Create / Editor mode – create chords by searching & selecting from the circle of fifths or by entering note by note on your keyboard
How it Works
Scaler 2 can listen to incoming MIDI or audio data and detect the key your music is in. After this, it will suggest chords and chord progressions that will fit with your song. Scaler 2 can send MIDI to a virtual instrument in your DAW, and it has 45 onboard instruments to play with as well.
Scaler 2 comes with over 400 song and genre-based chord sets and over 200 artist chord sets to inspire new progressions and melodies; plus, choose from hundreds of scales and modes to get your creative juices flowing. Simply drag the chords you want into the sequencer to build a pattern that’s unique to you.
Explore alternative chords that’ll fit with your progression, with loads of suggestions, voicings, chord extensions and variations on particular chords to help you choose the perfect feeling with every step of your song.
New Audio Detection Technology means you can detect and analyse chords and scales from existing audio sources. With MIDI Capture, you can record Scaler 2’s output – whether you’re clicking keys or chords, or playing progressions – in order to drag the resulting MIDI to outside the plugin.
Suggest mode gives you chords compatible with your chord progression. Lock keys to your chords to create complex melodies by intuitively moving around on your MIDI controller. Humanize Scaler 2’s performance by introducing variations to velocity and/or timing. Voice Grouping profiles lets you automatically invert notes to restrict playback within certain octaves or by using open voicing.
Edit Mode lets you dial in Duration, Octave, Inversion and more parameters per chord, and there are new ways to edit chords when right-clicking. DAW Sync links your chord patterns to your DAW’s playback, making it easy to audition new progressions or alter existing chord patterns alongside your DAW project. Pad View makes it easy to construct entire arrangements, moving chords and whole progressions on a higher level.
Scaler 2 makes Modulation Suggestions for movement between your current key and a destination. The majority of suggestions have been sourced from professional musicians, and some are generated algorithmically.
With Performances, Phrases, Sequences, Basslines, Melodies and Rhythms created by real pianists and musicians, Scaler 2 isn’t just about creating chords and arpeggios – it can lay down melodies as well. Over 500 Expressions let you experiment with riffs and melodies, which can be locked to notes of your scale or a chord.
What’s new in version 2.5.0?
- Generate chords compatible with your progression – follow Tonal or Scale relationships to build complex patterns
- Works by analysing your current progression and suggestions based on internal artist based content
- Generate random progressions and get inspired quickly
- Chord Charts: Displays a guitar chord diagram for any chord in your Section C
- Fretboard Views: New “Scale Degree” and “Scale Interval” views to explore the neck of your instrument
- 5 New guitar-focused Voice Grouping profiles
- 4 New Sounds (Steel Acoustic, Electric Guitar, Retro Electric, Vintage Keys)
- New Expression Mode: Strummed Sequences with 30 strumming patterns and variations
- New Chord Sets (Pop Rock, Contemporary RnB, Pop Ballads, Deep House)
- 20 Synth Sequences